Full Document: Board of Health Indoor Mask Order 1-6-22 (PDF)
Town of Chatham - Department of Natural Resources
PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY ORDER
BOARD OF HEALTH MASK ORDER EFFECTIVE: January 7, 2022
Pursuant to the Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 111, Section 31 & 122, 310 CMR 11.05, 105 CMR 300.200, and all other authorizing statutes and regulations, we the members of the Chatham Board of Health hereby order the following:
Masks or face coverings shall be worn:
- Whenever indoors on the premise of a business, club, or place of assembly, including but not limited to retail establishments, offices, restaurants, bars, performance venues, social clubs, event spaces, places of religious worship, libraries, and municipal buildings.
- Food service establishment customers may only remove mask/face covering when seated and consuming food and/or beverages.
- Indoor bar and dance customers may only remove mask/face covering when seated at tables or seated at a bar and consuming food and/or beverages. Patrons standing or ordering at the bar must be masked. Patrons on dance floors must be masked.
- Lodging workers and guests shall wear mask/face covering inside hallways and common areas.
- Residents and employees of multi-family dwelling units are required to wear masks/face coverings inside hallways and other common areas. Building management shall post notice of this requirement at all entry doors to the building and common areas.
- Personal services (including but not limited to barber shops, hair and nail salons, and massage/body work) customers and workers shall wear mask/face coverings, except for skin or beard care that occurs on the face, where customers may temporarily remove the Page 2 of 3 masks/face covering but must immediately put the mask/face covering back on for the remainder of the visit.
- Masking remains mandatory for all individuals on public and private transportation systems including ride-shares, taxis, transportation shelters, and the CCRTA flex bus.
- The only exception to the indoor requirement for a mask/face covering is for a single individual in a private office space.
This Order shall not apply to informal gatherings at private residences in which no compensation for use of the property is paid to the owner and it shall not apply to unorganized gatherings in unenclosed, outdoor spaces such as a park, athletic field, or parking lot.
The Board of Health strongly recommends that N95, KN95, or multi-layer surgical masks be worn in lieu of cloth masks or face coverings.
Notwithstanding any provision in this Order, pursuant to guidance issued by the CDC, face coverings should not be placed on young children under two years of age, anyone who has trouble breathing, anyone who is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance, or anyone who due to disability or medical condition who is unable to wear a mask.
Full vaccination against COVID-19 remains vitally important to reduce hospitalization and morbidity from the virus. We encourage all eligible persons to get vaccinated and boosted.
To the extent necessary, this Order shall be enforced by the Board of Health or its designated agents.
Whoever violates any provision of this Order may be penalized by a non-criminal disposition process as provided in MGL Chapter 40, Section 21D and the Town’s non-criminal disposition bylaw.
If non-criminal disposition is elected, then any person who violates any provision of this Order shall be subject to: for a first offense, a written warning; for a second offense, a penalty in the amount of one hundred dollars ($100); for a third offense, a penalty of two hundred dollars ($200); and for fourth or subsequent offense, a penalty in the amount of three hundred dollars ($300). Each day or portion thereof shall constitute a separate offense. If more than one, each condition violated shall constitute a separate offense.
This Emergency Order shall be effective at 12:01 a.m. January 7, 2022, and shall remain in effect until notice is given that, in the Board of Health’s judgment, the within Order is no longer necessary. The Board of Health will revisit this Order at their meeting on February 7, 2022. ORDERED on this Day January 6, 2022.
ORDERED on this Day January 6, 2022
CHATHAM BOARD OF HEALTH:
- John Beckley, Chairman
- Noble Hansen, MD, Vice Chairman
- Carole Boyce, Member
- Ronald Broman, Member
- Edward Sheehan, Member
- Dr. Richard Edwards, Alternate Member